Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Outside Aquaponics • View Subject Matter

 Post issue: Ratio of fish tank to develop beds

Posted: Jul twentieth, 'eleven, 09:52 



Joined: Jul twentieth, 'eleven, 07:36

Posts: 4

Gender:

Are you human?: YES

Location: USA, Ohio

Hello every person. I had been surfing information approximately aquaponics for the previous couple of weeks now and have ultimately decided to build my personal. I wanted one small sufficient to preserve inside the house at some point of the iciness in order that it might now not take up plenty area. I've decided to use a 60 liter Rubbermaid for the fish tank but am now running into hassle finding a develop mattress. I've read that one need to have a 1:1 ratio among tank and develop mattress. I even have observed a fifty five liter Rubbermaid to apply for the grow mattress and am questioning if a good way to be too small for my 60 liter tank.

    AdvertisementRupertofOZ

A 2:1 ratio is recommended... a 1:1 ratio will positioned your near the threshold of your filtration capability, except you stock consequently...Top

 silkcom

Joined: May twenty first, 'eleven, 06:27

Posts: 212

Location: St Charles, Missouri, USA

Gender:

Are you human?: sure wait no wait sure

Location: St Charles, Missouri, USA

Depending on how excellent you need it to appearance you could get a blue barrel and cut it in half of.Many people use the ones and they're no longer too huge.Top

 Bushy

Joined: Apr 22nd, '07, 20:fifty nine

Posts: 317

Location: northern rivers,

Gender:

Are you human?: hmm, fishy query

Location: alstonville, nsw, aust.Top

 TCLynx

Joined: Dec sixth, '07, 01:13

Posts: 10709

Images: 0

Location: valuable FL

Gender:

Are you human?: YES at least mainly

Location: USA, Florida, Yalaha

If you could manage to have close to equal amount of develop mattress and fish tank and then inventory much less fish you ought to be good enough.And with simplest 60 liters, you are not going to be growing out safe to eat size fish so some excellent small goldfish should be high-quality.

In larger systems wherein people need to develop as lots fish as viable, having twice as much grow bed and fish tank is usually recommended but then you want a few approach of sequencing the flooding of the grow beds or you want a sump tank to address the water level fluctuations.Or else you want to run constant flood so there wont' be water stage fluctuations.Top

 bomber4494



Joined: Jul twentieth, '11, 07:36

Posts: four

Gender:

Are you human?: YES

Location: USA, Ohio

Now that I actually have determined to go along with a one hundred twenty liter grow bed, I can't determine out what length pump to apply. I plan on having half of the water being drawn out of the tank pumped proper returned into the tank for aeration. I changed into thinking round a 140-one hundred seventy GPH pump.Top

 earthbound

Joined: Mar 12th, '06, 07:56

Posts: 17802

Images: four

Location: Perth

Gender:

Blog: View Blog (1)

You sequencer dealers.....I have a tendency to go the other way, 1:2 ratio is beautiful....

_________________

www.havehomewilltravel.com

Life at the roadTop

 motoponix

Joined: Aug 15th, 'eleven, 14:fifty five

Posts: 12

Gender:

Are you human?: sure

Location: the 808

You sequencer sellers.....I have a tendency to go the other way, 1:2 ratio is stunning....

I'm going this way too on my first construct because of how I acquired my resources. I ended up grabbing a 60 gallon tank from craigslist as it turned into so darn cheap. $25US. I actually have a 20 gallon concrete blending tub as my grow mattress.. so that could be a 1:3 ratio GB: FT. I am concerned that the vegetation will no longer clear out the water enough due to the fact the ratio is so off. To repair this would I just use much less fish? or maybe now not fill the tank full with water?Top

 TheNative

Joined: May ninth, '10, 15:43

Posts: 504

Location: Suisun City, CA

Gender:

Are you human?: Monster

Location: Solano County, California, USA

You sequencer sellers.....I generally tend to move the other manner, 1:2 ratio is lovely....

I'm glad you chimed in in this ratio element EB. Seriously gave me massive drama within the starting of my gadget looking to get to the right ratio. Then I saw your posts concerning 1:2 ratio systems and I stop sweating about it.

Basically someplace among 1:2 and 2:1 is first-rate. Just stock to the scale of your develop beds, not your fish tank.

What could 55L of develop beds provide you with, 3 pounds of fish?

_________________

My AP System

viewtopic.personal home page?f=18&t=7857Top

 earthbound

Joined: Mar twelfth, '06, 07:56

Posts: 17802

Images: 4

Location: Perth

Gender:

Blog: View Blog (1)

Thats the winner Native....It's virtually just not about the ratio of fish tank to growbed in any respect...And I can;t strain that sufficient...I actually have a fantastic system right here at home, my oldest machine nevertheless strolling, approximately 8-9 years antique and it has nearly 4000L of fish tank to a growbed that I assume is only approximately 200L...Been running a treat....

_________________

www.havehomewilltravel.com

Life on the roadTop

 mantis

Joined: Mar 24th, '10, 13:00

Posts: 5086

Gender:

Are you human?: Daughters assume now not

Location: Horsham, Victoria, Australia

I've got 3 structures of 1.1:1, zero.75:1 and 1.five:1 and the first machine has produced two lots of fit to be eaten fish, the others are on preserve for destiny reports however I reckon they will do adequate

Now my brain hurtsTop

 Marc d W

Joined: Jun 1st, '10, 22:14

Posts: 729

Gender:

Are you human?: I desire so

Location: Hills east of Perth

This whole ratio aspect had me harassed and it still does.But then I realised there are not any difficult and fast regulations (just some very important and key concepts) . Anyhow it were given me thinking about the stocking charge and quantity of develop mattress.Correct me if I even have this wrong but the ratio is about filtering potential.if this is correct would a constant go with the flow device have a more filtering capability for a given sized develop mattress than say a fifteen:45 min on off cycle due to the more amount of water that is passing via the filter medium (ie grow bed gravel)?If that is accurate must we no longer take this into consideration as properly?

Therefore if a gadget changed into closely stocked (or if the temps had been up and feed appreciably elevated) might running the develop beds on constant flooded or even a 15min on and 15 min off cycle help to address the accelerated ammonia better than the conventional ebb and waft (15mins on and 45 off).Or have I were given this totally wrong?

Cheers

Marc

_________________

My machine

Marc's SystemTop

 RupertofOZ

The BYAP trials suggest that there may be no longer any actual difference between going for walks consistent flood, and flood & drain... in phrases of nitrification....

But the fact remains that if you have not were given enough filtration potential for your stocking amd feed fees... then it probable wont be counted which device you run besides.... you would nonetheless be below-filtered....Top

 TCLynx

Joined: Dec 6th, '07, 01:thirteen

Posts: 10709

Images: zero

Location: important FL

Gender:

Are you human?: YES at the least on the whole

Location: USA, Florida, Yalaha

Yes, the truth is you have to discover a stability.One of the problems comes whilst human beings installation a system after which inventory the max amount of fish their fish tank can cope with with little situation for the amount of filtration they've.If you are going to inventory max fish for your fish tank capacity (while not having oxygen injection) then you need the 2:1 Grow Bed-Fish tank ratio and a sump tank or way of sequencing.

If you'll be sane approximately your stocking and grow your fish according to the quantity of develop mattress you have, then the alternative ratios work to some extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment